Re: Wishlist?

Ben Bennett (fiji@ayup.limey.net)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 19:30:02 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 06:19:38PM -0500, Mike Caprio wrote:

> > Do any of you have thoughts, suggestions, ideas of what would be cool?
>
> Let's formalize the Sumo competition and have like a ladder and stuff,
> and post the results as we have matches. I hereby take the name
> "Yokozuna Caprio".

Sure. I will look into that. Perhaps a section of said FAQ should be
wishlist items. I ahve put a placeholder page into place. Would
Caprio or Yokozuna be your family name?

> > What should I work on first?
>
> There ought to be a FAQ... though I know by saying that I am probably
> indirectly volunteering to do it...

Yay FAQ. Where do you want to put it? On ayup or elsewhere, in one
of the directories under ~fiji/public_html/rokenworld or elsewhere?

> > At the moment I am trying to get a part list of all of the sets that I
> > have (Mike, if you can tell me what the beam set and plate set had in
> > them that would be cool). You can see my start of the part listing at
> > http://www.limey.net/~fiji/rokenworld/parts/index.html.
>
> I'll get that to you later tonight.

Yay.

> > I am also making a set of LDraw parts for the basic Rokenbok parts
> > (plates & beams to start with) and a tool to make defining the parts
> > less of a pain. Then I want to make models of the arenas and render
> > them and ditto for all of the parts (to replace my crappy pictures where
> > possible).
>
> What is LDraw, and where can I get it?

Ah. It is a file format and set of programs of varying quality that
allow you to model LEGO parts and then assemble them into models.
There are tools that let you convert the model files to POV-Ray files
and the results look really sharp.

Anyhoo, I have the basic beams, the solid side beams and the red
connectors modelled in all of the possible lengths. The parts are not
quite finished but they are about 90% of the way. I need to make them
the right size but that is not hard and I need to make all of the side
polygons defined canonically (this also is not hard). So if you are
interested let me know and I will package what I have and put it up on
the web. I hope to have them finished soon.

LDraw and LEdit were the first but they are DOS programs. The file
format and parts were used by the related utils. LDLite is a good
Windows viewer, LeoCAD is a sort of compatible model constructor (it
is pretty nice), LDAO has an editor in it that is okay but allows you
to drive LDLite with different viewpoints without giving it explicit
command line flags (recommended).

So where to find info on LDraw:
Good starting point (the FAQ) -
http://fys.ku.dk/~sparre/LEGO/Værktøj/LDraw-FAQ.html
LDLite (windows LDraw vierer)-
http://www.gyugyi.com/
LD Add On (LDAO) -
http://home.att.net/~blisses/ldaddon.html
L3P (LDraw to POVRay) -
http://www.netby.net/Nord/Mandelvej/Hassing/l3p.html
LeoCAD (3D model constructor) -
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/3479/leocad.htm

BTW this is probably a good first FAQ :-).

-ben